Book Vs Film Adaptation: Little Women


Hey everyone, I know I didn't post anything on Monday as usual, (and I'm sorry) I got really sick, but I'm glad I'm feeling better already. So as promised, this will be the first Thursday for the "Books vs TV Adaptation" segment ( I really couldn't think of a cooler name but if you have any ideas, let me know in the comments). I'll begin with one of my favorite books of all time, a classic! which is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. It was first published in 1868, and follows the the lives of the March Sisters as they come of age during the civil war. There's Meg, the eldest , who is really sweet and maternal to her younger sisters. Next is Josephine, who prefers to go by "Jo" and wants to be a writer, Beth, who is really sweet and docile which sometimes leads her to being timid and shy, and finally, we've got Amy who is a very child but grows into a successful and intelligent young woman. 

There have been many many adaptations of Little Women, Stage Adaptations, TV Adaptations, Film Adaptations, but today I'll be talking about the 2019 Film Adaptation of Little Women directed by Greta Gerwig.


The little women film was one of the acclaimed films of 2019, I remember being very excited when I first watched the trailer, and when it was finally released, and I got to watch the film, I wasn't disappointed.


The 2019 version of little women doesn't follow the chronological order of the book, Greta Gerwig took a modern approach in the storytelling. The timeline jumps forward and backward between childhood and adulthood unlike other versions.

The plot of the film shows the four sisters Jo, Meg, Amy, and Beth in the earlier stage of their life and the latter stage where Meg is married with two children; Amy is well settled in Paris; Jo is a writer in New York; and how Beth's illness brings her back to Concord, Massachusetts.

We see the characters adapting to the difficulties of Adulthood. Meg finds that marriage is work, Jo runs to Newyork to become a writer and finds out that her dreams of success are not so easy after all, Amy follows Aunt March to Paris, and finds out that though she's an able painter, she lacks the skills to break into the male dominated art world and be taken seriously, and Beth who's very sick is the driving force that brings them all home.


I find this Version a refreshing way of representing the books. It deals with changes in structure and in characterizations, all of the sisters get to hold their own power showing that there's feminine power in all of us, in different ways, not just Jo who's like the main protagonist. I liked this version of little women best over the other versions. 

That's all for today, I hope you liked it, let me know what you think. What movie/book should I do next? Let me know in the comments!

Post a Comment

0 Comments