Let's talk about Book Tropes...

 

I have read a ton of books, and when reading various books, there's usually a recurring theme or recurring themes you notice in various books. They're usually called "tropes". Make no mistake, tropes are NOT genres, they're just like an underlying recurrent theme you notice in various books. If you still don't understand,  let's ask Google what a trope means.  

Google says "The word trope can refer to any type of figure of speech, theme, image, character, or plot element that is used many times." For example "The reluctant hero" or "the noble savage". Do you get it now? 

So today, I  talk about book tropes I love to find in books, and also tropes that make me never want to read that particular book again. Let's begin, shall we?

Tropes that I like:

1.Found Family 

I'm a huge sucker for this trope. I especially love when books have this trope. It's when a group of people come together based on shared experiences and learn to love each other without even having a biological connection. Why do I love this trope? Let's see... First of all, I think that in this particular trope, there's always room for character development, there's room to form any relationship dynamic for example, the best friends who grew up together and are now practically siblings, or the amazing father figure present, or maybe just a group of people coming together for a particular thing(maybe a project?) and they learn to really care about each other after all the mistrust, and fights, and now they all love each other and would practically do anything for each other. The "Found Family" trope shows that there's more to family than just biological ties. Good books that I recommend include The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater and Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo.


2. The Unexpected Heir Trope 

I think this trope is found in most fantasy novels. Usually the main character doesn't know they're heir to the throne and usually grows up poor or in the lowest caste, and suddenly they find out they're the missing princess or missing prince and now have to fight their really evil uncle or the evil overlord for right to the throne. Sometimes, they discover they have magic also! Books like that make me happy. I like to imagine that's me sometimes, maybe I'm actually a missing princess and everyone is waiting for me to destroy my evil uncle, and of course I'd win, good always defeats evil in most fantasy novels. So, I'd definitely win.


3. The Chosen One Trope.

Another Popular trope in the Fantasy world. There's always someone that's destined to save the rest of us from doom. It's one of my favorites though. The "chosen one" is usually the main character but sometimes, it could be a side character or maybe even the antagonist.

Most of the time, there's usually a prophecy that chooses the chosen one, or a group of people to choose the chosen one (they could be wrong, but most times they're never ever wrong), or it could be an artifact to choose the chosen one. A downside to the chosen one trope is that some authors tend to make that the entire plotline for the story, and if not written well, that's not very good.


4. Enemies to Lovers 

 This particular trope is more common in romance novels, but it's found in other genres too. The characters start off hating each other, and over time, learn to overcome their differences and then build a romantic relationship. Books I recommend; The hating game by Sally Thorne.

Now, tropes I don't like very much.

1. The massive age-gap 

It's just weird to me, I don't like it very much. I've read some books that have like an eighteen year old female protagonist and then a 30-something male protagonist. That's just kinda weird to me. Also, the whole "I'm an immortal but I have a 17 year old body" dating a 17 year old. I know it's in most vampire and werewolf novels, it just creeps me out after I think about it. Let me know your thoughts on the comments


2. Instalove

Gosh! I absolutely do not like books that the characters fall in love at first sight. I know there has to be some attraction. But love? Really?. Also, the whole soulmate thingy. Kinda gross. Pretty common in werewolf romance novels. 


3. Friends to Lovers

This one just annoys me. Two childhood friends; one is crushing on the other one and doesn't tell him/her, and then gets jealous when the other person starts dating someone else. Later it is revealed that all along, the other person had feelings too. From where? It just annoys me a lot. When I see a book going that direction and it's the main plot of the story not a side plot, I don't finish.


Okay guys, that's it for today. I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know what your favorite tropes and not so favorite tropes are in the comments.









Post a Comment

7 Comments

  1. Nice one,besides the ones you mentioned,I especially love the billionaire-poor girl trope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda like that trope too. As long as the writer doesn't make the girl stupid

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel friends to lovers is a very boring trope lol and the massive age gap is concerning

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Enemies to Lovers and the billionaire-poor girl tropes are my favorite. I love LOVE.... smile
    Nice write-up you got here!

    ReplyDelete